2nd Annual Ski vacation

Today we headed out on our second annual multi-day ski vacation.  We have a cabin near Meadows Ski Resort and planning to enjoy three epic days of skiing.  Our school district has an extra day off when others don't so Monday brings cheap lift tickets, low crowds and looking at the weather forecast, lots of snow!
It felt so exciting this morning as I got up at 5am, walked the dogs, got lunches made, breakfast to-go (pancakes, sausages and fruit) made, car packed with three days worth of gear and clothes, and finally got the kids up, into their ski underlayers and into the car.  We were on the road just after 7 (late due to the pancakes I made) and 30 minutes into the drive I just couldn't stop smiling.  This is what I live for, a day of adventure with kids who are completely on board.
I'm grateful we made it here because Kellan had a crazy painful ear the night before.  One thing I don't do well is living in the grey zone.  That will we go or not point.  I just want to know one way or another and when a kid is on the verge of not doing good you have to make the decision for the whole family.  When he got into my bed around midnight crying because his ear was hurting so bad I thought the wise choice was to stay home.  But the wise choice is not the fun choice.  I woke him up at 5am asking him if he wanted to ski and I took his groggy "yes" as the decision.  As I was cooking pancakes I did wonder if he was actually aware of what question I had asked.
Even though we were on the road fairly early, traffic was not in our favor and we were in the third parking lot.  No problem I thought since there's a lift that takes up right up to the main area.  As we got ready Emmett said he wanted to take the shuttle so he wouldn't have to walk as far.  Of course we were at the furthest possible point to walk.  We could not have parked any further away from the starting point.
As I was getting myself and three kids ready, which is no quick activity by the way!  Mom, can you help me get my boots on?  Mom, I can't get this buckle.  Mom, can you get my gloves tight? Mom, where's my pants?  Etc...  Anyway, after we were done and started walking we noticed the line to the shuttle getting insanely long.  Alex compared it to the line at the new Star Wars line at Disneyland.  Apparently the power went out and the lift wasn't running.  So Emmett got his way, we took the shuttle but he still had to walk the whole way!
The lifts did open up luckily and we finally made it onto the slopes.
Even with all the set backs, everyone kept their positive nature.  Well, the teenager got a little snarky at her brother in the car, but no complaints about waiting.  No complaints about having to ride a bus instead of a lift.  I just love seeing my kids with this great attitude and sense of adventure.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Continuing local adventures

Great weekends have to end

Easter Scavenger Hunt