Christmas Tree Hunting
This year we changed it up to get our Christmas tree. Our Christmas tree farmer retired two years
ago and we were a little heartbroken. His place was the most basic of basics. A lot in the back with maybe 80 trees at it's prime. After cutting down our tree the kids would get a candy cane (the mini kinds) and they would be delighted. We talked about Old Man Yeager, the owner, frequently. Even when we cut down our tree I could see the farm next door with rides going on (and people spending a fortune on their trees and entertainment!) and it gave me delight that my kids just cared about the tree, carrying it to the car and that tiny candy cane.
Last year we went to another tree farm but it just didn't feel right. We found a wonderful tree. It was about $60 more than Old Man Yeager ever charged us for the same size but it was a good tree. They had a shaker which delighted the kids to see. The tree was a good one but the memories just weren't the same. In fact, I didn't remember we did that until we started talking about how we cut down the tree.
Our tree is all about memories. Each ornament has a memory of a kids' milestone or a trip we took. We put the ornaments on the tree and talk about each trip to remember. So having a tree that was selected at a farm I didn't remember didn't feel right.
So this year we started, what I hope to be, a new family tradition. We purchased a tree permit in the Mt Hood National Forest and headed off. I told the kids about helping keep forests healthy (given our recent forest fires that was easy to explain) and the criteria for the tree selection to make sure we were helping forests, not damaging. We headed off in the morning eager for some snow. Right around 2,000 feet the snow started to be visible and before long the roads were sketchy enough that I was good pulling over and walking from there. Everyone got into their snow gear and the boys grabbed their sleds. I really appreciated Emmett grabbing his helmet and putting it on without question. I was about to tell him he didn't need it but realized, when does wearing a helmet ever hurt?? So both boys put on their helmets and grabbed their sleds and we started up the road. Quickly we found a spot to head into the forest, where it wasn't overgrown and steep. From there it was exploriation galore. We climbed up some steep cliffs that benefited from me throwing a rope down to each kid to help them up. As we looked at several options, each time we would see one that was just a little up the hill and soon we felt like we hit the jackpot in a field of younger, smaller trees. The exact location where a little trimming would help out, and we found our tree. Heading back down seemed much easier for sure and once we got the tree on the car we made hot cocoa on the stove, with regular sized candy canes AND whipped cream.
Kellan was in his world, exploring the forest where there was no trail. Jumping from spot to spot, in his world. Emmett felt it was a great excursion and Alex, the most hesitant to start, was the main helper in carrying the tree at the end. She just needed a purpose.
I think this family found a new tradition and I'm excited for many years of tree hunting in the forest!




Comments
Post a Comment